This one’s inspired by my favorite character in Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series. The character, Death, usually has a monochromatic look; pale skin, heavy eyeliner and dark lipstick, sometimes black or a darkened red or purple. I’m dressed entirely in black (black peplum top, black cargo pants, complete with ankle boots I have not worn in years and this is where I cry about not throwing away my worn out black trench coat), but I have turquoise and gold necklaces on to jazz up the look.
The different ways Death has been portrayed over the years
The thing I don’t like about heavy eyeliner looks is how flat they usually end up looking, because people rarely put any shadow underneath. Here I used a fluffy brush and a tiny amount of Urban Decay West (deep red brown) to create a shadow on my lid, before I applied MAC Blacktrack (black gel liner).
The line for the eye didn’t turn out as sharp and precise as I wanted. I suspect I might have had an easier time with a liquid liner, but I’d left that in school.
You can kinda see the brown eyeshadow in the second photo.
Also, I would usually be using a much darker lip colour than what I’m wearing now (Bobbi Brown Pot Rogue in Raspberry). Ideally, I’ll be wearing NYX Snow White (deep wine red) with Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lip Gloss in Black Ruby (blackened ruby with gold shimmer) layered over it.
Then I got to school and access to my makeup. After doing everything I needed to do, I reapplied my lipstick. This is the result.
On the eye:
1) Using a fluffy brush, create a light wash of colour with Urban Decay West (deep red brown). This creates some shadow on the eye
2) I used MAC Blacktrack (black gel liner) to line the eye heavily.
1) Painted Earth Luminious Coconut Oil Pressed Mineral Foundation in Sandy Beige buffed into the skin with a Kabuki brush
2) Hourglass Ambient Powder in Mood Light to set the makeup
1) I first applied Bobbi Brown Pot Rogue in Raspberry (raspberry tint). This works okay I guess, but is nowhere near as dark as I would like it. Alternatively
2) When I had access to the rest of my makeup, I first layered NYX Snow White (deep wine red) and then Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lipgloss in Black Ruby (blackened ruby with gold shimmer)
Note: Remember my review on the amazing longevity of NYX Snow White? Well I applied the lipstick at 5pm, had a greasy dinner of barbecued pork, drank a hell lot of water, and the pigment is still there. It is amazing.
If you liked this post, check out my Facebook page for more updates and links to other sites!