Okay, it looks like I’ve only applied blue eyeliner to one eye here, but it’s the way my lids’ folds cast shadow on the photo, honest.
I’ve loved the idea of denim eyes since Bobbi Brown’s Denim and Nude collection in late 2010, just as I was getting into makeup.
I recently found an article on Fall 2013 trends, and Navy Eyeliner was one of them. The picture below immediately drew my attention, and I knew that would I’d be doing a look like it.
Blue’s always a tricky colour to use, because the colour often ends up flat and unflattering, and so having navy eyeliner is a great way of incorporating blue into your look. I think it’s just as striking as using teal or turquoise.
Here, I’ve applied a standard neutral eye, than taken a bright blue eyeshadow (this is closer to ultramarine than navy, really) and lined my eyes with it with and angled liner brush. I hope you like it, I know I do. =) It’s the first day of school and I’m feeling really fresh with this colour.
Painted Earth Complete Face Palette in Bronze. I used the lightest eyeshadow there, a beige with small flecks of glitter in it, but mostly a satin finish
This is the Urban Decay Theodora Palette. I used Broken, the matte caramel brown on the first row, and West, the red brown colour on the second row of the palette
Coastal Scents 42 Doublestack Matte palette. I used the bright dark blue in the palette. I initially intended to use the darker blue beneath it, but the payoff was poor for that shadow.
How I did the makeup:
1) I used MAC Paint Pots in Rubensque (peachy gold) and applied it all over the lid as a base
2) I then applied the lightest eyeshadow in the Painted Earth Complete Face palette in Bronze on the lid (light beige with satin finish)
3) I applied Urban Decay Beware (matte caramel brown) on top of the beige eyeshadow. By mixing the two colours I got a mostly flat lid, but the beige colour had lightened the brown so that the resulting colour was a light subtle brown – it wasn’t immediately obvious that I was wearing an eyeshadow
4) I used Urban Decay West (dark red brown with satin finish) on the V of the eye to contour it. I then used an angled liner brush to line the lower lashline.
5) Taking a clean angled liner brush, I used the ultramarine blue eyeshadow in my Coastal Scents 42 Color Doublestack palette (the matte eyeshadow one, not the satin)
6) I used a liquid liner to draw a very subtle line on the upper lashline
7) Applied Painted Earth Skincare’s mascara on my upper and lower lashes
1) Painted Earth Luminious Coconut Oil Pressed Mineral Foundation in Sandy Beige was applied with a Kabuki brush
2) I brushed MAC Ripe for Love (orange coral) on my cheeks with the same Kabuki brush to give my cheeks a healthy glow
3) Because the reference picture has such a strong (and badly blended) contour, I used MAC Warm Soul (beige bronze with gold pearl) to very lightly contour my cheekbones
4) Hourglass Ambient Powder in Mood Light (this is supposed to imitate the glow of those pink lightbulbs that flatter the face so well) to set the makeup
I’m using Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Pink Truffle on my lips, which is a nude just slightly darker than my own lip colour. It’s a fantastic nude, with proper pink and brown shades (mostly brown) rather than just a beige that makes you look like a corpse.
More photos of the look!
If you liked this post, check out my Facebook page for more updates and links!