I was actually intending to do a orangey red lip today, but when it started raining, I automatically reached for the smoky eye.
This is a fierce and intense eye look that is really easy to do. You just need the one brush for the eye, and I used a stippling brush for my cheeks. (I love the photo above as it really shows the contouring I’ve done. I hate how the camera doesn’t usually capture my blush unless I pile a bunch on, and then I end up looking like a clown in real life.)
This look was achieved with the Ellena Mineral Cosmetics Slanted Eyeliner Brush. It’s a brush that is slightly thicker than my MAC and Sephora angled liner brush, which makes it perfect for depositing colour on the eyelid and eyebrows (using a thinner brush just takes too long).
I kept the rest of the makeup simple because of how incredibly dramatic the eye makeup was. I only contoured my cheeks with a matte brown eyeshadow (I’ve given up trying to find the perfect bronzer and just use eyeshadows now) and applied my lesser-used highlighter, Benefit High Beam on my face. It’s a lot more subtle than MAC Soft & Gentle, just enough to give the cheeks a lovely glow. I wanted a peachy pink for the lips, and pulled out one of my favourite lipsticks, MAC Sandy B. It looked a little washed out though, so I layered a mauve pink lipgloss over it, Painted Earth Mauve Baby Hint of Mint Lipgloss over it.
1) I used bareMinerals Ensemble, a deep matte purple to line my upper lashline in a thick line, and flicked it out. I then lined the lower lashline with the same colour
2) I used Urban Decay Tornado, an eggplant purple with a satin sheen on top of Ensmble to get more dimension to the colour
3) I used Urban Decay Zero 24/7 Eyeliner, a matte black shade along the outer third of the upper lashline and then smudged it out with the angled liner brush to darken the shadow, giving it more depth
4) I used Urban Decay Zero to line the lower lashline and waterliner
5) I used Benefit They’re Real! Mascara on the upper and lower lashes
1) I used the Laneige BB Cushion on the face
2) I used The Body Shop Concealer Stick on remaining red spots
3) Using a stippling brush, I used Urban Decay Beware, a matte caramel brown eyeshadow and contoured my cheek
4) I used Benefit High Beam, dotted it along the tops of my cheekbones and blended it out with a finger
1) I used MAC Sandy B, a peach pink with gold shimmer
2) I then layered Painted Earth Mauve Baby Hint of Mint Lip Gloss, a mauve pink with gold shimmer on top
This dramatic look is something of a first for me. I usually use a lot more than two eyeshadows when dramatic eye makeup. Also hello Urban Decay Zero, it’s been a while since I’ve used you and you still feel/look absolutely great on. Typing this post about four hours after makeup application, there would usually be some smudging by this point, but I’m proud to report that nope, that’s not happened yet!
– – –