‘The Neglected Series’ is where I will pull out rarely-used makeup from the dusty corners of my collection. It’s partly an exercise and challenge for my creativity, since I realise I haven’t been too creative with my colour palette lately and keep falling on the same old products. Digging through my stash is also a reminder for me to not buy new makeup since I already have plenty of things to play with. (Yes, this is what I’m trying to convince myself with.)
I was watching Lisa Eldridge’s ‘no makeup’ makeup video for her no makeup look and she gave a really interesting tip (amongst many other useful ones) – the trick is to not have any lines. So no visible eyeliner and blend your bush. Dabbing on your lip colour with a finger instead of applying with a lip brush or straight from the bullet will probably give you a lovely flush.
But yes, here’s my take (one of many) on the no makeup look. I actually didn’t intend to put anything on the eye apart from mascara (I was actually going to take, but I needed to add some sort of depth since I have flat Asian eyes. MAC Groundwork to the rescue – this beauty always adds the perfect amount of shadow to my eye without looking too obvious.
The two neglected products I’m using today are: Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in Peach Satin and Urban Decay Supersaturated High Gloss Lip Colour in Glinda.
I love using cream blush for a natural look. They have a dewiness all on their own without any sparkle or pearl, so you can skip the highlighter. Also they’re so easy to blend out. I bought this pinky coral blush from Jakarta last year. It’s so sad that we don’t have them in Singapore. While they’re not the longest wearing formula, there’s a lovely shade range and still applies really well. Also I just love touching it, it is so aptly named.
The lip colour came from my Urban Decay Glinda palette, which was a limited edition kit released in line with Disney’s Oz movie back in 2013. It was a terrible movie but a really good palette which came with six full sized eyeshadows in a Build Your Own tin kit, a travel sized lip liner and a full size gloss pencil thing. So yes traditionally you should avoid glossy finishes for a no makeup look but this is the loveliest nude shade, with the perfect amount of rose, beige and brown tones and the gloss is a lovely thing (I mean just look at the photos.) Also I’ve never been one for following makeup rules.
1) Jane Iredale Dream Tint Tinted Moisturizer
2) Happy Skin SS Creme Foundation5 (applied all over face with a stippling brush)
3) Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer
4) Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in Peach Satin (pinky coral cream, applied on the apples of cheeks with fingers)
5) Guerlain UV Shield Pressed Powder (translucent powder dusted all over)
1) Tarte Lights Camera Lashes mascara (upper lashline, subtle lengthening)
2) MAC Groundwork Paint Pot (matte taupe brown, applied with a fluffy brush all over lid for light wash of colour)
1) MAC Dipdown Fluidline (matte redbrown shade)
1) Korres Wild Rose Lip Butter
2) Urban Decay Glinda Supersaturated High Gloss Lip Pencil
– – –