This is a very misleading title. There are many French ‘It” girls and street style fashions but I really couldn’t think of a better title. I’ve got a friend in Paris right now and she keeps sending the most beautiful photos, which led me to research on French fashion.
As much as I hate to essentialize, all the beauty articles define this as “French girl” makeup, hair, fashion, etc. There are a few common trends, namely:
- Minimal foundation. This means of course having excellent skin (which I do not have) so I applied a light layer of foundation and then whacked my skin with concealer.
- Beautifully defined, even a little wild brows. No over plucking here!
- Mascara – even if you skip the eyeliner mascara (black of course) for bigger beautiful lashes is a must. Try to use only one coat though.
- Pencil or gel liner, not liquid. Basically you want your makeup to look effortless and lived in, and liquid is just too polished.
- Blush – this seems to be a must-have in all the articles I’ve seen! Try to pick deeper plummy or red hues instead of baby pinks for a more sophisticated finish. I used a raspberry red cream blush on my cheeks today.
- Lips – keep it matte, no glosses here. Colours range from pinks, nudes and red. I really love how some people wear jeans and a T-shirt and have a ruby lip as their crowning accessory. Also you’d think pinks are very girlish but when you pick a matte shade you’d be surprised at how edgy it can look. Here I’m using MAC Mehr.
For my own look, I decided to do a smoky brown eye. I applied a brown eyeshadow all over and smudged brown eyeliner in. I paired this with rosy red cheeks and a matte pink lip. It’s a very simple look but I still feel really beautiful in it. I added sea salt to my hair to give it more texture and volume, because even my second day hair is impossibly fine and limp.
Also, if you’ve not seen on my Instagram account, I dyed my hair with box dye again! I used Liese’s Rose Tea Brown Creamy Bubble Colour, which has lightened my hair by three shades and gives me really beautiful red brown highlights. Do follow me on Instagram, where I put in random daily updates and photos of pretty things to brighten your day.
1) Urban Decay Beware eyeshadow (matte caramel brown, patted all over eye)
2) Shishedio Eyeliner Pencil in #7 Deep Brown (matte deep brown, upper lashline and smudged out)
3) Urban Decay Perversion mascara (upper lashes)
1) NYX Eyebrow Pencil Liner in Black
1) Happy Skin ZZ Cream Foundation
2) Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer
3) Bobbi Brown Pot Rogue for Lips and Cheeks in Raspberry (raspberry red cream, apples of cheeks)
4) Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Mood Light (light pink powder dusted all over cheeks)
1) MAC Mehr Lipstick
– – –